In 1846 so much of an Episcopal element was found in Woburn that it was considered advisable to establish a mission, and services accordingly were begun in the old town hall by missionary Rev. George Packard. Mr. Packard soon found that the Lawrence area required too much of his time to continue the Woburn mission and no further effort was made to hold services until 1865, when through the efforts of Eliza Wyman, services were resumed in the old town hall on January 21, 1866, under the leadership of the Rev. George Sherman Converse of St. James’s Church, Roxbury.
The parish was organized within the year, and the name of Trinity Church was adopted. On April 22, 1867, the parish was legally organized as a religious society, and shortly thereafter, a committee was formed for the purpose of raising funds for a church building.
Ground was broken on September 25, 1867, for the new building at the corner of Main and Harlow Court, and the cornerstone was laid by the Rev. Frederick Dan Huntington on October 29 of the same year. The first service in the new building was held March 11, 1869, and the new church was consecrated March 28, 1871, by Bishop Manton Eastburn.
From 1869 to 1887 services were held by supply rectors for short periods, none serving for more than a year. Survival seemed one continual struggle, but the faithful hung on until, owing to a lack of funds, the church was declared officially closed in the fall of 1887.
In the fall of 1891, through the interests and perseverance of a few members, the Trustees of Donations were persuaded to sell the site on which the church stood, buy a site in the back of the Methodist Church, move the building, and repair it. With this accomplished, the Rev. John W. Suter of Winchester was elected rector.
In 1905, through the efforts of the rector, the Rev. F.W. Beekman, three members of the vestry, and Bishop William Lawrence, an option was secured on the Winn property at the corner of Main and Davis Streets. In June all business was completed and the church building was moved to its present location. The Winn homestead was converted into parish rooms on the first floor and a rectory on the upper floors.
The history of Trinity Church reveals that times of trial and periods of disappointment have always been met, resolved, and overcome. The people of Trinity remain dedicated to spreading the Good News of the living God as revealed in God The Father, God The Son, and God The Holy Spirit.